Saturday, May 28, 2005

Digital nostalgia, where will we be in 100 years?

As I just happen to have enjoyed a little less tech-influenced style of living, I haven't used my old fulltower PC in about a year. As i visited my parents this weekend I stumbled across an 'old' hard drive (it's not that it's antique or anything, it just hadn't been powered on for about a year, and had 111Gb of my stuff inside). I went through some of the contents (120Gb is a LOT of bits). Wham! Instant nostalgia! I hit pictures, music and software that were at least one year, and more often than not, much older than that.. It brought back memories, and made me go through lots of things that happened earler when i used the disk the most, and even 5 year(plus) old music that touched some emotional nerve.

It made me think, that hard drives, and other digital storage media are like the diaries and photo-albums of the digital age. It follows that with this new role (it isn't exactly new.. as all digital activity, have been kind of a memory box for whoever were working with particular types of sotware..).

It also follows that this role is a new, and maybe even more demanding challenge for the computer. "Family Critical Computing" is the new trendy word. This is a tough nut for home computers, since most of the basic relability of this system depends on the harddrive to run error-free.

It is also interesting to think about what might be ariund in 100, or maybe 5 years from now.. *sighs*... good old summer music, what i really need, is for it to "stay forever young".. I'll put my money on regular backup routines and open formats.

For future "Family Critical" purposes, I'll consider using some off-site storage where I can buy space at reasonable rates. For now Gmail will do.

No comments: